full screen background image
Search Oldnautibits
 
Home > Aeronautical > Aviation Instruments & Tools

Aeronautical - Aviation Instruments & Tools

NewStock NEW STOCK In Stock IN STOCK Featured FEATURED Sold SOLD Sold - similar available SOLD - similar available  
Reference Stock Item   Description Price
6537
Air Officers Commanding Staff Car Pennant - Click for the bigger picture New Stock Air Officers Commanding Staff Car Pennant - An exceedingly scarce RAF staff car pennant, that potentially comes with very interesting and historical provenance. It came in a small collection of assorted flags and pennants that were acquired after RAF Bentley Priory closed which were bought by a collector who wanted the two large station flags that were included and we were able to purchase the pennants, including this example, from him.

RAF Bentley Priory was a non-flying Royal Air Force station near Stanmore in the London Borough of Harrow. In May 1926, Inland Area (Training Command), a part of the organisation of the Air Defence of Great Britain (ADGB) moved into the Priory from Uxbridge. In July 1926, it was renamed 'Training Command' and transferred to Market Drayton in Shropshire. The RAF then began to grow in size and so the organisational base expanded with it and the foundations were laid for an air defence system, which proved to be well in advance of the force it was shortly to oppose during the Battle of Britain. The RAF was radically reorganized with the creation of Bomber, Coastal, Fighter and Training Commands. The existing ADGB was dissolved and RAF Fighter Command emerged on 14th July 1936. It left Hillingdon House, at RAF Uxbridge and moved to Bentley Priory, led by its first Air Officer Commanding Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding. Fighter Command Headquarters remained at the Priory until its merger with the other operational commands in 1968 and the station was disbanded and the site finally closed on 30th May 2008. Today a fine Battle of Britain Museum operates from the site (well worth a visit) including the office of ACM Sir Hugh Dowding, as final pics atttached.

Our pennant is of multi piece construction in very heavy silk weave. Finished with an RAF pale blue cloth background with a sewn on RAF roundel attached, overlayed with a yellow astral crown. These pennants were entitled to be flown only by four specific groups of senior RAF officers :

-Air Officers Commanding (AOC) and Air Headquarters.

-Commandant RAF College, Cranwell.

-Commandant General RAF Regiment (but only when visiting RAF and Army units in an official capacity).

-Director Women's Royal Air Force (WRAF) (but only when making official visits and inspections).

Staff Car pennants were never dated and it is therefore hard to prove their exact age. Seeing however this is made to the wartime specification and Dowding was appointed Air Officer Commanding of Fighter Command on 14th July 1936 and backed up by its apparent source, it is a possibility this pennant was issued to and flown by Dowding but of course this is impossible to prove. Whatever its actual history it remains in fine condition, is guaranteed original (unlike many of the fakes now appearing on E bay) and would sit very happily in a top end RAF or Battle of Britain Collection. It measures 12" x 6" (30.5 cm x 15 cm). The roundel is 4 1/2" diameter (11.5 cm).

£195.00
Stock Enquiry Form
5215
RAF Staff Car Pennant - Click for the bigger picture New Stock RAF Staff Car Pennant - Acquired from the same source as the other example we have just listed, this one is constructed from man made fabric, with an embossed RAF roundel, so clearly a post war example. Like the other, these were flown from official RAF staff cars of Section or Station Commanders, of the ranks of Wing Commander and above.

The pennant is in flown condition, with some wear to the reinforced fabric, caused by flag pole and it also exhibits some staining and light soiling to the pennant surface. Our view is this adds to the authenticity of the item and unlike the many fake RAF ensigns currently listed on E bay we are happy to guarantee that this one has seen issued and seen RAF service. Measures 12.5"x5.75" (31.5 cm x 14 cm).If you are lucky enough to own an RAF staff car, this example being of lighter constructuion, will actually fly at a lower speed than the woven example also listed today.

£55.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6302
RAF Type 48 Magnetic Oxygen Mask Microphone - Click for the bigger picture In Stock RAF Type 48 Magnetic Oxygen Mask Microphone - A standard WWII example of the type fitted to the E, E* and G pattern oxygen masks. It carries an embossed stores reference code 10A/12570 to the face plate as well as the microphone 'On' and 'Off' switch. The microphone is wired up with a wartime specification flecked short cord and a two pin female connector to plug into an internally wired RAF C, D or E pattern flying helmet. A near identical example is shown on page 46 top left of Mick Prodger's excellent Luftwaffe V RAF Flight clothing book. We discovered a small quantity of these in a forgotten warehouse and these appear to never have been issued. Other than a minor storage marks they are in near perfect condition. Interestingly the box in which this example was discovered has written outside 'checked 30/6/44' and below a further check date of 22/11/44. Like all our kit for sale as a collectable but we would not be surprised if this is not still in good working order -despite the passing of 77 years! £30.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6749
RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite - Click for the bigger picture In Stock RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite - Manufactured by the Bendix Aviation Co. from 1941 and issued to both RAF and USAAF aircrew in WWII. Often referred to as 'Aerial Kites' as they were made to lift 260 feet of steel wire from the coil drum on the 'Gibson Girl' emergency transmitter. This was effectively copied from a 1941 captured Luftwaffe issue example which used a winged as opposed to the standard box kite design adopted by the British. The system went into mass production in the USA with an initial order placed for 11,600 sets which became standard issue for multi person dinghies for aircrew operating over sea. The full kit also included a balloon and hydrogen generator, as an alternate to the kite, when wind conditions prevented its use.

This example comes complete with its cotton issue bag which is close to mint, with just very light storage marks. It is fully stamped which makes mention of the original contents that would have included inflation tubes and a hydrogen generator. On offer here is just the kite but what makes it exceptional is the fact is appears mint and as issued. The cloth is neatly bound with cord ties as shown in our illustration and it is clear it has never been assembled. These kites featured a fold up aluminium frame that was designed to be 'idiot proof' and featured a 'pop-out spider' to facilitate assembly in a pitching dinghy. The kite had two different bridle attachment points, one for winds 7–20 miles per hour, the other for 15–40 miles per hour. In the folded state you can still read the reference to the 40 MPH attachment ring. Whilst we are happy to break the factory binding cord and assemble the kite on request, we prefer to leave it in its 'mint and boxed' state which makes this example so unique. Many of these that have survived have been used post war for recreational purposes (myself included) and we have had them with messages written on the cloth giving owners name and address and 'Please return if found'! This is certainly not the case here, so if you wish to add a pristine example to you collection in a condition as it left the Bendix factory all those years ago, this is the one for you! Kite folded in storage bag measures 22" (56 cm)The final image attached here shows a rather over dressed AAF Officer assembling a similar kite, whilst seated in a dinghy, but we feel this could be a studio shot, but interesting none the less!

We have been fortunate enough to purchase a small number of these kites from a forgotten store here in the UK, that have never been issued or used. Whilst these are being offered individually at a very modest £45.00 plus delivery for a purchases of 2 or more kites we will offer at a 10% discount. When they are gone they are gone!

£45.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6672
RAF Aircrew Snail Whistle - Click for the bigger picture In Stock RAF Aircrew Snail Whistle - A good original issued example with clear embossing with King's Crown, AM, 23/230 and on reverse 293/14/L1795. Some wear to chrome finish, commensurate with service use and a nice sign to differentiate the original item from the reproductions now available on the market. The suspension loop is still attached and these were often hung from the collar loop of the aircrew battledress blouse or from Mae West lifejackets, as illustrated in the famous picture attached showing Guy Gibson and his 617 Squadron crew. A small but indispensable rescue aid that must have saved the lives of many downed allied airmen in WWII.

£60.00
Stock Enquiry Form
4014
Luftwaffe First Pattern M35 Map Case - Click for the bigger picture Reserved Luftwaffe First Pattern M35 Map Case - A very fine issued example manufactured by Leo Schmidt, O. H.G München 15, 1935. This company made a variety of high quality leather items for the German armed forces including boots, webbing, pistol holders or as here map cases or Kartentasche. These were used by both Army and Air Force personnel including the Fallschirmjäger both pre-war and throughout WWII. In Luftwaffe use they were issued on a limited basis, to specifically designated personnel such as unit commanders, pilots, and observers.

This example is in exceptional condition with no issues and with the added bonus that the normally missing leather & plastic map holder insert, that remains within the case. The M35 map/dispatch case was based on the Weimar era Reichsheer pattern but with minor improvements incorporated. The front closure arrangement was simplified in mid-1936 with the replacement by a standard buckle and an additional small front pocket was added in 1938, although the early pattern cases continued to be manufactured throughout the war.

The case has a leather flap that is held secure by the a base metal slide in bar closure system with three slots cut in the flap to allow for the size of the contents. Inside the flap exposes 7 recesses for assorted pencils, a wooden ruler holder, an receptacles for an eraser and a map case pocket knife. Nearly always the contents is now absent as here but this is compensated for by the leather and plastic map holder that is in great original condition. Whilst the outside of the case carries the makers details as mentioned, the inside flap carries further clues to its service life with the Luftwaffe This is clearly stamped 'Kdtr. Trav' which we believe is the German military abbreviation for 'Kommandantur' meaning 'Administrative Headquarters Commandant's Office' which is over stamped 'Fl. H. Kdtr Pütniz, ' which refers to 'Fliegerhorst Kommandantur, headquarter of the Airfield' and a further stamp reads Fl. Schule Pütnitz, which translated is 'Flying School Pütnitz'. Below is a further stamp '35' which we assume confirms the 1935, manufacture date. On line research indicates Pütnitz-Damgarten was a Luftwaffe airfield built by the Wehrmacht in 1935-36 and inaugurated as a Luftwaffe Fliegerhorstkommandantur on 1 October 1936. Pütnitz was a training station for flying, navigation, instrument flight and airborne radio throughout the war. During 1944 and 1945 the station command at Pütnitz was Fl. H. Kdtr. A (o) 5/III

A similar example is illustrated in Mick Prodoger's 'Luftwaffe V RAF Flight Equipment' book page 118. It would be hard to find such a crisp original 'Kartentasche' as this, together with the added service history of the base and unit it served with lifts this example above the norm.

 
3116
Luftwaffe Dreieckrechner DR2 Flight computer - Click for the bigger picture Sold - Similar Available Luftwaffe Dreieckrechner DR2 Flight computer - In addition to mechanical and electrical radio directional navigation aids the Luftwaffe also utilized two different models of manual flight navigation devices which were basically circular slide rules to assist in navigation calculations. These were referred to by flight crew as 'Knemeyer' after the inventor Siegfried Knemeyer (5 April 1909 – 11 April 1979) who was a German aeronautical engineer, aviator and the Head of Technical Development at the Reich Ministry of Aviation during World War II. The earliest examples date from around June 1936 with the latest being dated November 1942.

This example is in good issued condition made by DENNERT & PAPE in Hamburg, Germany on April 1941 and carries Fl no 23825. The metal edges to the instrument show minor rubbing to the original paint finish as is to be expected. Both top and bottom dials show signs of service use but everything operates as intended and would sit happily in a Luftwaffe or general aviation collection. Measures 6" diameter (15 cm)

Stock Enquiry Form
1799
Luftwaffe AK39 Armbandkompass - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Luftwaffe AK39 Armbandkompass - The AK39 Wrist Compass was first introduced in 1939 for use by German aircrew for navigation purposes if forced to abandon their aircraft. Whilst designed for wrist use, as its name implies, many period photographs exist of it attached to Schwimmweste, or other bits of flight equipment. The AK39 came in two variants and this example is the first specification; these were generally manufactured by the Kadlec Instrumente-Fabrik Elektrische Instrumente of Prag Czechoslovakia, while under German occupation, although this example does not give any clues as to who made it. The reverse of the black plastic case is embossed with the full specification including Armbandkompass, followed by Baumuster AK 39, Werk nr. 10244972 and the Luftwaffe requisition Fliegermaterial number, Anforderz Fl 23235. The compass card swings freely but like most examples we see the air bubble is slightly larger than intended, but the oil remains very clear. The compass is fitted with the original wrist strap and buckle that remains in good issued condition. Generally this is an above the average example that would sit happily in any collection. The compass diameter is 2.4" or 6 cm. £135.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6071
R.N.A.S. Haldon Clock Presented to Lt F.C.Muir R.N.V.R. - Click for the bigger picture In Stock R.N.A.S. Haldon Clock Presented to Lt F.C.Muir R.N.V.R. - Here we have a very fine Art Deco Smith's Electric Clock which was presented by his fellow Officers to the recipient on the occasion of his wedding in WWII. It carries a fine solid silver hallmarked plaque to the top indicating the maker was 'RP' who we believe to be Robert Pringle of London. It also carries a London assay mark and a date letter for 1937. The plaque is a finely engraved and reads:- 'Presented to Lieut & Mrs F.C. Muir on the occasion of their marriage by 794 Squadron & Personnel of R.N.A.S Haldon 3rd January 1942.

We have been able to trace Lt Muir and as an Acting Sub Lieutenant he was serving with R.N.V.R. 794 Squadron in August 1940. The airfield, situated in Devon inland from Dawlish and Teignmouth, was initially used in WWII by the RAF the Research Development Flight, from RAF Boscombe Down, engaged in developing balloon cable cutters and airfield rocket defences. The airfield was transferred to the Admiralty in August 1941 and the main role for RNAS Haldon was that of a relief landing ground and a refuelling stop for Air Towed Target aircraft. Detachments from RNAS Yeovilton frequented the station operating over the Lyme Bay live firing ranges. Aircraft types included Defiant, Skua, Swordfish, & Spitfire. On December 31st 1942 the station lost its commissioned name and it was reduced to Care & Maintenance status in May 1943. The Admiralty officially closed and paid off RNAS Haldon on February 17th 1946 and the Gilding School left for Exeter in June 1946 and was the last military flying unit to operate from the site.

The clock was clearly a quality piece in its day and was made by Smiths Electric Clocks Ltd of Cricklewood London. The hands are adjusted from the rear and it would have originally operated on a mains 200/250 volts connection. The mains cord is now absent and whilst subject to professional checks it may be possible to get functioning again it is for sale here purely as an historic art deco and R.N.A.S collectable from an often overlooked Devon air station of WWII.

£85.00
Stock Enquiry Form
OC451
Gosport Connector Tube - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Gosport Connector Tube - Another item that has just come in with a box of assorted aircraft instruments which we are currently listing. This is another first for us and believe it is a section of semi flexible metal tubing that would have facilitated instructor and pupil to communicate via their Gosport tubes, perhaps from a DH Tiger Moth? We surmise this as the chromed metal ends exactly fit the male ends of a Gosport tube and frankly we can't think what other aviation use this item may have had. Of course if any visitors to the site can add any words of wisdom we will add these to this description. The black finished tube appears in excellent condition and remains semi flexible; the slightly flared chromed ends carry a little surface rust as shown but all in all it is basically sound. Tube measures 19.75" (50 cm) end to end. Tube diameter at each end is.75" (1.75 cm). £12.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6546
RAF Red Star Mk 12T Distress Flare Tin - Click for the bigger picture Reserved RAF Red Star Mk 12T Distress Flare Tin - This example, which is now empty, would have contained three red star distress flares, designed to be used in conjunction with the standard RAF issue Very pistol and would have been included in both the single seat and multi place dinghy packs of WWII. Whilst the original paint shows some wear and surface rust that is hardly surprising after 73 years but the writing on it is still readable. The top would originally have been taped on to avoid moisture entering and is marked 'Do not remove sealing tape & open until cartridges are required'. The front detail confirms the contents as '3 Cartridges Signal 1" Red Mk 12. T. 'And 'Lot No' below. The same is written on the reverse side whilst on the side is 'Box No.381. Mk I'. In smaller writing towards the base is written '12MB/45' indicating the tin was made by the British Metal Box Company in 1945. The tin measures 3 1/2" x 2.75" (9 cm x 6 cm) and an identical example is illustrated on page 68 of Mick Prodger's excellent Luftwaffe V RAF Flight Equipment reference book. This is example is not in quite such good condition as the one we have just sold and this is reflected in the price.

 
6382
WWII RAF Airspeed Oxford Propeller 1940 - Click for the bigger picture Sold - Similar Available WWII RAF Airspeed Oxford Propeller 1940 - The Oxford (nicknamed by all as 'Ox-box') was used to prepare aircrews for Operations in RAF Bomber Command and could simultaneously train pilots, navigators, bombaimers,, gunners and radio operators on the same flight, so was a perfect mobile classroom in the sky. In addition to training duties, Oxfords were used in communications and anti-submarine roles and as air ambulances in the Middle East. As an interesting aside this prop is of fixed pitch yet the Oxford's instrument panel had a feathering control switch. When we queried this with one who is 'in the know' the answer was simple. Most aircrew training on the Oxford would go on to A/C with props that feathered. So they were taught how using a non-operative dummy switch which moved from coarse to fine pitch but was actually not connected to anything!

This is an absolutely superb examples that would be impossible to upgrade. No chips or dings and finished in original black RAF paint with yellow tips. The two data plates on the hub are spot on. One is clearly dated July 1940 and below two lead seals one with an AID inspectors stamp marked 31K.Below is stamped K9024 and 73090. Carrying the ultimate date of July 1940 it means this prop served during the Battle of Britain period, although of course the Oxford being a training aircraft did not take part directly. The other plaque is stamped with 'DRG No Z3810/4, Cheetah 1X and LH D7 5' P628'. This indicates the propeller drawing number (with Z confirming the manufacturers were the Airscrew Co. of Great Britain), the engine (a Mk IX air-cooled Cheetah), left hand rotation and pitch and diameter of the blades.

It is a fantastic display size and makes a real statement as it measures 90" (229 cm) tip to tip and is 15" (38 cm) wide measured on the diameter of the hub on the wider side. In many ways it is reminiscent of the early Watts fixed pitch wooden propellers, the ultimate goal of all serious WWII prop collectors and as fitted to Mk I Spitfires and Hurricanes. Ours however is a fraction shorter and very significantly cheaper! As with all our stock feel free to request additional detailed photographs so you don't need to just take our word for how nice this pieces of WWII RAF history really is! Due to its size we would prefer to sell this one on a collection only basis but feel free to check with us on possible delivery options. We have had a few examples of these over the years but this one really does tick all the boxes! And it is both 100% more original whilst less than a third of the price of a restored example currently on sale with a London dealer for £3,200!

Stock Enquiry Form
1680
Luftwaffe/ Fallschirmjager Parachute Carry Bag - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Luftwaffe/ Fallschirmjager Parachute Carry Bag - Standard issue for both Luftwaffe aircrew and also Fallschirmjager troops and designed to carry both parachutes and harnesses. Made of coarse light brown hessian or burlap material with webbing handles and green cotton reinforced edges. These were fastened by 'Lift the Dot' fasteners that are stamped 'Zieh Hier' (literally 'Pull Here').The reverse side is stamped DRP indicating, Deutsche Reichs Patent or German National Patent. This example is also embossed to the top flap with the Luftwaffe stores reference number Fl 30220. The bag is empty and has simply been display stuffed for photographic purposes. It is generally in excellent issued condition with just minor wear to the inner green edging material but this is hidden when closed. Measures 16" x 16"x 13" (40 cm x 40 cm x 33 cm)

£125.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3040
Air Ministry Mechanics Oil Can by T.E.Bladon - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Air Ministry Mechanics Oil Can by T.E.Bladon - A good issued example in brass with a curved spout with a threaded tip but as usual the screw in stopper is absent.. The base of the spout is clearly stamped with the makers name T.E.Baldon (who also made oil lamps for the railways). This example carries an impressive Kings Crown and AM (Air Ministry) property mark and is dated 1940 so was clearly used in the RAF and would have served throughout WWII including the battle of Britain. The reservoir of the can is accessed by a removable threaded plug on the base..No doubt this was an essential piece of kit in an RAF 'Erk's' tool box. Sadly no history with this one but no doubt it has a story to tell! Minor bumps and knocks commensurate with use but a modest but interesting display item in an RAF collection. Measures 9" (23 cm) £28.00
Stock Enquiry Form
OC347
Westland Whirlwind XJ 393 Access Panels - Click for the bigger picture Reduced Westland Whirlwind XJ 393 Access Panels - On offer are two aluminium panels that were originally fitted to Westland Whirlwind HAR 3, registration A2538 construction number 10A/57 and registration code XJ 393. This aircraft was the original prototype Mk III Whirlwind and first flew on 27th June 1955. She spent most of her active life at Research Establishments (A&AEE, Defford, Pershore), before becoming an RN Instructional Airframe. She was then displayed at the now defunct Torbay Aircraft Museum and was finally scrapped in 1993.

The panels have faded green paint on outside and silver inside and with the aircraft code XJ 393 stencilled to each. Metal parts show some rust and age related staining. The panels fasten to the airframe with metal turn screws and one panel has a canvas pouch to the inside stencilled 'Window Curtain Stowage (empty). We imagine these panels fitted over the crew compartment windows but stand to be corrected on this. If you are a Whirlwind fan or happen to have an old airframe in your back garden these could be just for you! Panel one measures 22 1/2" x 22 1/2" (57 cm x 57 cm) and panel two is 24 1/2" x 23" (62 cm x 23 cm.)
£25.00
Stock Enquiry Form
5271
Mk II & Mk II* Gunsight Replacement Reflector - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Mk II & Mk II* Gunsight Replacement Reflector - Most of the original WWII figher gunsights we see have chipped or broken reflectors fitted. Original replacements are both difficult to find and expensive, so we have here a much cheaper and practical solution. This item has been made up to the original dimensions using optically corrected perspex. Fitted to an original gunsight, it is virtually impossible to tell it is not an original item as you can see on the attached picture showing an identical example use on my Spitfire cockpit section project. We currently only have one example in stock but more are on order and are expected in soon. 4.5" square (114mm) £35.00
Stock Enquiry Form
4372
Air Ministry Salters No. 20T Trade Spring Scales - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Air Ministry Salters No. 20T Trade Spring Scales - In a lifetime collecting RAF memorabilia, this is the first set of RAF issue scales we have ever seen. These are clearly marked on the brass dial with a crown, A.M. and 4A/NIV C22B and B122754/40, thus dating the instrument to 1940 and highly likely it served through the Battle of Britain. The dial is also engraved Silvesters Patent, Made in England, to weigh 150 lbs. On the back of the instrument is painted C Flight, although sadly no squadron details. We do not know the exact use for these scales but possibly for weighing kit bags and personal items prior to an overseas posting to calculate the aircraft's loading weights. We spoke to a specialist Salter's scale collector and he too confirmed the rarity of this item and suspect we will wait a long time to find another. It is heavy, so please check delivery costs with us before ordering. Dial diameter 15.5" (39 cm) £145.00
Stock Enquiry Form
4514
Wellworthy Trench Art Piston Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Wellworthy Trench Art Piston Ashtray - Manufactured from an original piston marked: Wellworthy 567401 4 Injectorbide A6/11599 Alfin AEC LOEX HMB. We have no idea what engine this would have been used in, although the Wellworthy factory was established in 1919, supplying engine components to the aircraft industry and finally closed for business in 1989. This example is particulary attractively engineered. Diameter 5.25" (13.5 cm) £45.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6538
RAF Magnetic Staff Car pennant Mast - Click for the bigger picture Sold RAF Magnetic Staff Car pennant Mast - This is only the second example of one of these we have had in 20 years+ of trading. It was found in a box containing assorted RAF items that originated from Bentley Priory, including the Air Officer Commanding pennant we have just listed, so we surmise this was were it served. This would appear to be post war issue and we are told the magnetic version was used when different staff cars were used, whilst a regular staff car would have had a permanent mast bolted to it.

It is finely engineered with both the finial and mast having a screw thread to aid the attachment of and safely securing the appropriate pennant. The mast is finished in what we believe to be stainless steel and the very strong magnet is enclosed within a rubber base, to avoid any damage to the car's paintwork. We understand these portable examples were good for speeds up to 8o MPH (128 KPH) but we have not as yet tested it on our Somerset roads!

The mast measures 14" from the base to the top of the finial (35.5 cm) and the rubber base is 3.75" diameter (9.5 cm) Please note this listing is for the mast alone and the Air Officer Commanding pennant is for display purposes only, but is listed for sale separately against item 6537. Modern diplomatic magnetic flag pole masts are being advertised currently at £236.81 Ours, which was definitely RAF issue and possibly with interesting provenance, is rather more modestly priced!

A Recent Sale
4734
RAF Staff Car Pennant - Click for the bigger picture Sold RAF Staff Car Pennant - These were flown from official RAF staff cars of Section and Station Commanders of the rank of Wing Commander and above. It is made from woven fabric finished in RAF blue with an embroidered RAF roundel stitched to the centre. The flag staff side is reinforced with leather to prevent wear to the fabric. We understand on RAF owned staff cars the flag pole was fitted by means of a screw in the base plate that was permanently attached to the vehicle. On lease cars the flag pole was attached via a magnetic base, so it could be easily removed depending on who was being driven.

This example remains in remarkably good flown condition with just very minor age wear. Unlike most of the fake RAF ensigns currently being offered as originals on E bay we can give a money back assurance this one is the real deal so you can buy with confidence. These are difficult to date but post war examples tended to be of nylon with an embossed roundel, so we would estimate this fine example dates from circa WWII or the early post war period. The pennant is double sided and measures 12.5"x 5.75" (31 cm x 14.5 cm) and the roundel is about 4.5" diameter (11 cm). The last one of these we offered was sold back in 2014 so grab this opportunity whilst you can!

A Recent Sale
OC452
Aircraft Piston Grip Display Stand - Click for the bigger picture Sold Aircraft Piston Grip Display Stand - We had this original aircraft piston custom modified with a central alloy mount machined up and bolted to the top to provide a unique display stand for an aircraft control grip. The example shown, which is ex Harvard/Texan, is not included in the sale but is offered for sale below against item 3743 and comes complete with the appropriate control column, but is included here for display purposes only.

We are unsure of the actual engine the piston came from but inside it is marked 'Lycoming' and also stamped 'Z243' and 'P1'. We have been advised it may have been taken from a Wright Cyclone engine, for whom Lycoming made the pistons, so if correct could have been used on types such as the RAF Boston, A20, the Mitchell and others. If any visitors to the site can provide a more definite ID we will add it to our description.

The diameter of the piston is 5.2" (13 cm).The grip support strut is 4.33" high (11 cm) and it's diameter is 1.18" (3 cm). We can't think of a better way to display an aircraft grip so grab it whilst you can as this is a one off item and when it is gone it is gone!

A Recent Sale
PC220
Luftwaffe AK39 Armbandkompass with extension strap - Click for the bigger picture Sold Luftwaffe AK39 Armbandkompass with extension strap - The AK39 Wrist Compass was first introduced in 1939 for use by German aircrew for navigation purposes if forced to abandon their aircraft. Whilst designed for wrist use, as its name implies, but many period photographs exist of it attached to Schwimmweste, or other bits of flight equipment. The AK39 came in two variants and this example is the first specification; the very early production models had a solid black bezel that was followed by a translucent bezel as here.

These early compasses were generally manufactured by the Kadlec Instrumente-Fabrik Elektrische Instrumente of Prag Czechoslovakia, while under German occupation, although this example does not give any clues as to who made it on the dial. The reverse of the black plastic case is embossed with the full specification including Armbandkompass; interestingly below it normally read 'Bauart Kadlec' confirming the maker and it looks as though this may have been ground out although an identical example is shown on page 311 of 'Deutsche Luftwaffe' and was probably done in production to avoid telling the enemy where the production facility was based. Below the removed wording is 'Baumuster AK 39', 'Werk nr. 10152808' and the Luftwaffe requisition number, Anforderz Fl 23235. The compass card swings freely and the bezel rotates as intended but like most examples we see the air bubble is slightly larger than intended, but the oil remains very clear. The compass is fitted with the original wrist strap and buckle that remains in good issued condition. As a really nice bonus item this example is fitted with an original leather strap extension that was designed so the compass could be wrist worn over a heavy flying suit or jacket The compass diameter is 2.4" or 6 cm. A fine example of the early model that would sit happily in any Luftwaffe collection.

A Recent Sale
5194
RAF Beadon Suit Snakebite Lancet - Click for the bigger picture Sold RAF Beadon Suit Snakebite Lancet - These ingenious tools were developed by the Air Ministry to be carried by aircrew serving in the Far East theatre as part of the tropical survival kit 27P/19, in conjunction with the Flying Overalls, Lightweight, Tropical, stores reference 22C/1047-1053 and the supplementary Bag, stores reference 22C/1070. The suit, often referred to as 'The Beadon Suit' entered service in 1945 for primary use in South East Asia and was also used in the early post war years. It contained 12 pockets for a variety of escape aids and if the worst should happen could be transferred to the Beadon bag and carried like a ruck sack.

This small but essential bit of kit was one of the associated items issued with the suit. The container is made from chrome plated brass and is embossed with the makers name Gardner Co. London as well as a Kings Crown and an A. M (Air Ministry) property mark. One end unscrews to reveal a small chromed lancet blade used to cut out the venom from a snake bite. The other end unscrews to reveal a cavity that would have originally contained a potassium permanganate capsule for use on the bite. As is nearly always the case this is now absent but we have replaced with a very convincing replica that is fine for display purposes. The chrome finish shows minor surface wear and scratches but generally an excellent original example and better than average condition and like so much else getting much harder to find now. Measures c.2" (6 cm)

A Recent Sale
6301
RAF Type 48 Magnetic Microphone - Click for the bigger picture Sold RAF Type 48 Magnetic Microphone - A standard WWII example of the type fitted to the E, E* and G pattern oxygen masks. It carries an embossed stores reference code 10A/12570 to the face plate as well as the microphone 'On' and 'Off' switch. The microphone is wired up with a wartime specification flecked short cord and a two pin female connector to plug into an internally wired RAF C, D or E pattern flying helmet. A near identical example is shown on page 46 top left of Mick Prodger's excellent Luftwaffe V RAF Flight clothing book. We discovered a small quantity of these in a forgotten warehouse and these appear to never have been issued. Other than a minor mark to the face plate it appears in near perfect condition. Interestingly the box in which this example was discovered has written outside 'checked 30/6/44' and below a further check date of 22/11/44. Like all our kit for sale as a collectable but we would not be surprised if this is not still in good working order -despite the passing of close to 75 years!

A Recent Sale
6743
RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite - Click for the bigger picture Sold RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite - Manufactured by the Bendix Aviation Co. from 1941 and issued to both RAF and USAAF aircrew in WWII. Often referred to as 'Aerial Kites' as they were made to lift 260 feet of steel wire from the coil drum on the 'Gibson Girl' emergency transmitter. This was effectively copied from a 1941 captured Luftwaffe issue example which used a winged as opposed to the standard box kite design adopted by the British. The system went into mass production in the USA with an initial order placed for 11,600 sets which became standard issue for multi person dinghies for aircrew operating over sea. The full kit also included a balloon and hydrogen generator, as an alternate to the kite, when wind conditions prevented its use.

This example comes complete with its cotton issue bag which is close to mint, with just very light storage marks. It is fully stamped which makes mention of the original contents that would have included inflation tubes and a hydrogen generator. On offer here is just the kite but what makes it exceptional is the fact is appears mint and as issued. The cloth is neatly bound with cord ties as shown in our illustration and it is clear it has never been assembled. These kites featured a fold up aluminium frame that was designed to be 'idiot proof' and featured a 'pop-out spider' to facilitate assembly in a pitching dinghy. The kite had two different bridle attachment points, one for winds 7–20 miles per hour, the other for 15–40 miles per hour. In the folded state you can still read the reference to the 40 MPH attachment ring. Whilst we are happy to break the factory binding cord and assemble the kite on request, we prefer to leave it in its 'mint and boxed' state which makes this example so unique. Many of these that have survived have been used post war for recreational purposes (myself included) and we have had them with messages written on the cloth giving owners name and address and 'Please return if found'! This is certainly not the case here, so if you wish to add a pristine example to you collection in a condition as it left the Bendix factory all those years ago, this is the one for you! Kite folded in storage bag measures 22" (56 cm)

A Recent Sale
6747
RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite & Case - Click for the bigger picture Sold RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite & Case - Manufactured by the Bendix Aviation Co. from 1941 and issued to both RAF and USAAF aircrew in WWII. Often referred to as 'Aerial Kites' as they were made to lift 260 feet of steel wire from the coil drum on the 'Gibson Girl' emergency transmitter. This was effectively copied from a 1941 captured Luftwaffe issue example which used a winged as opposed to the standard box kite design adopted by the British and Americans. The system went into mass production in the USA with an initial order placed for 11,600 sets which became standard issue for multi person dinghies for aircrew operating over sea. The full kit also included a balloon and hydrogen generator, as an alternate to the kite, when wind conditions prevented its use.

This example comes complete with its cotton issue bag, which is in very good original condition, with just very light storage marks, picked up during the last 75 years. It is fully stamped which makes mention of the original contents that would have included inflation tubes and a hydrogen generator. On offer here is just the kite but what makes it exceptional is the fact is appears mint and as issued. The cloth is neatly bound with cord ties as shown in our illustration and it is clear it has never been assembled. These kites featured a fold up aluminium frame that was designed to be 'idiot proof' and featured a 'pop-out spider' to facilitate assembly in a pitching dinghy. The kite had two different bridle attachment points, one for winds 7–20 miles per hour, the other for 15–40 miles per hour. In the folded state you can still read the reference to the 40 MPH attachment ring. Whilst we are happy to break the factory binding cord and assemble the kite on request, we prefer to leave it in its 'mint and boxed' state which makes this example so unique. Many of these that have survived have been used post war for recreational purposes (self-included! and we have had them with messages written on the cloth giving owners name and address and 'Please return if found'! This is certainly not the case here, so if you wish to add a pristine example to you collection in a condition as it left the Bendix factory all those years ago, this is the one for you! Kite folded in storage bag measures 22" (56 cm). The final image attached here shows a rather over dressed AAF Officer assembling a similar kite, whilst seated in a dinghy, but we feel this could be a studio shot, but interesting none the less!

We have been fortunate enough to purchase a small number of these kites from a forgotten store here in the UK, that have never been issued or used. Whilst these are being offered individually at a very modest £45.00 plus delivery for a purchases of 2 or more kites we will offer at a 10% discount. When they are gone they are gone!

A Recent Sale
6746
RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite & Case - Click for the bigger picture Sold RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite & Case - Manufactured by the Bendix Aviation Co. from 1941 and issued to both RAF and USAAF aircrew in WWII. Often referred to as 'Aerial Kites' as they were made to lift 260 feet of steel wire from the coil drum on the 'Gibson Girl' emergency transmitter. This was effectively copied from a 1941 captured Luftwaffe issue example which used a winged as opposed to the standard box kite design adopted by the British and Americans. The system went into mass production in the USA with an initial order placed for 11,600 sets which became standard issue for multi person dinghies for aircrew operating over sea. The full kit also included a balloon and hydrogen generator, as an alternate to the kite, when wind conditions prevented its use.

This example comes complete with its cotton issue bag which is close to mint, with just very light storage marks. It is fully stamped which makes mention of the original contents that would have included inflation tubes and a hydrogen generator. On offer here is just the kite but what makes it exceptional is the fact is appears mint and as issued. The cloth is neatly bound with cord ties as shown in our illustration and it is clear it has never been assembled. These kites featured a fold up aluminium frame that was designed to be 'idiot proof' and featured a 'pop-out spider' to facilitate assembly in a pitching dinghy. The kite had two different bridle attachment points, one for winds 7–20 miles per hour, the other for 15–40 miles per hour. In the folded state you can still read the reference to the 40 MPH attachment ring. Whilst we are happy to break the factory binding cord and assemble the kite on request, we prefer to leave it in its 'mint and boxed' state which makes this example so unique. Many of these that have survived have been used post war for recreational purposes (self-included! and we have had them with messages written on the cloth giving owners name and address and 'Please return if found'! This is certainly not the case here, so if you wish to add a pristine example to you collection in a condition as it left the Bendix factory all those years ago, this is the one for you! Kite folded in storage bag measures 22" (56 cm). The final image attached here shows a rather over dressed AAF Officer assembling a similar kite, whilst seated in a dinghy, but we feel this could be a studio shot, but interesting none the less!

We have been fortunate enough to purchase a small number of these kites from a forgotten store here in the UK, that have never been issued or used. Whilst these are being offered individually at a very modest £45.00 plus delivery for a purchases of 2 or more kites we will offer at a 10% discount. When they are gone they are gone!

A Recent Sale
6745
RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite - Click for the bigger picture Sold RAF / USAAF M-357-A Dinghy Radio Kite - Manufactured by the Bendix Aviation Co. from 1941 and issued to both RAF and USAAF aircrew in WWII. Often referred to as 'Aerial Kites' as they were made to lift 260 feet of steel wire from the coil drum on the 'Gibson Girl' emergency transmitter. This was effectively copied from a 1941 captured Luftwaffe issue example which used a winged as opposed to the standard box kite design adopted by the British. The system went into mass production in the USA with an initial order placed for 11,600 sets which became standard issue for multi person dinghies for aircrew operating over sea. The full kit also included a balloon and hydrogen generator, as an alternate to the kite, when wind conditions prevented its use.

This example comes complete with its cotton issue bag which is close to mint, with just very light storage marks. It is fully stamped which makes mention of the original contents that would have included inflation tubes and a hydrogen generator. On offer here is just the kite but what makes it exceptional is the fact is appears mint and as issued. The cloth is neatly bound with cord ties as shown in our illustration and it is clear it has never been assembled. These kites featured a fold up aluminium frame that was designed to be 'idiot proof' and featured a 'pop-out spider' to facilitate assembly in a pitching dinghy. The kite had two different bridle attachment points, one for winds 7–20 miles per hour, the other for 15–40 miles per hour. In the folded state you can still read the reference to the 40 MPH attachment ring. Whilst we are happy to break the factory binding cord and assemble the kite on request, we prefer to leave it in its 'mint and boxed' state which makes this example so unique. Many of these that have survived have been used post war for recreational purposes (self-included! and we have had them with messages written on the cloth giving owners name and address and 'Please return if found'! This is certainly not the case here, so if you wish to add a pristine example to you collection in a condition as it left the Bendix factory all those years ago, this is the one for you! Kite folded in storage bag measures 22" (56 cm)
A Recent Sale
5653
Original DH82 Tiger Moth Propeller and Spinner - Click for the bigger picture Sold Original DH82 Tiger Moth Propeller and Spinner - This example was purchased for my own collection back in 2011 and has since that date has graced the wall of our Oldnautibits HQ. However a growing collection of assorted propellers has necessitated a thinning out of the collection and it is time for this stunning example to be rehomed. It last flew on DH82 De Havilland Tiger Moth 11 back in 1987. The airframe construction number is 82102 and was manufactured in 1939 was taken on charge with the Royal Air Force with serial number N6847. On line research indicates the airframe was converted to a Thruxton Jackaro and obtained its C of A 15th May 1959 but was converted back to the Tiger Moth spec in 1984 and is currently airworthy in its original RAF configuration and colour scheme.

The propeller, despite being in very good condition, comes without paperwork and is for sale purely as an impressive display piece and is of a fine pitch variety. The previous owner made up a very useful metal wall mount which is included with the sale and is set off by a metal spinner as shown in our illustration. The hub has various stampings on it but these are largely obscured by the paintwork. As shown in the photograph the wooden propeller is finished in a high gloss black lacquer with yellow tips. It measures 80" long (2030 cm) tip to tip and weighs about 8 kilos. As with all out stock more detailed pictures are available on request. Personal pick up would be preferred on this one but we can look into the possibility of courier delivery if you can advise the destination address. We have noticed a replica Tiger Moth prop currently for sale in the UK over £1000; here you can buy an original with mount and spinner for rather less!

A Recent Sale
5632
Spider's Web 'Cobweb' Gun Sight - Click for the bigger picture Sold Spider's Web 'Cobweb' Gun Sight - This is only the second example of this pattern we have had in 20 years trading. The previous one we described as 'believed to be from a Bofor's gun' although we have been unable to establish conclusively its origins. This example is in rather better condition than the other, with most of its original matt black paint in place. We assume it dates to circa WWII and is of British origins, but we stand to be corrected. Whatever its history it is an impressive display piece. The diameter of the sight is 7.5" (19 cm) and it stands 11" (28 cm) measured top to bottom. If any visors to the site can add anything to our knowledge please get in touch and we will update our description. A Recent Sale
6603
Royal Flying Corps Mk I Bigsworth Board by Blériot - Click for the bigger picture Sold Royal Flying Corps Mk I Bigsworth Board by Blériot - In 20 years trading this is only the third example of one of these early boards we have been fortunate enough to source and offer for sale. Both the others were manufactured by 'The General Instrument and Engineering Co. Ltd', London whilst this one is stamped on the reverse 'Bleriot London', with the manufacturers details again being confirmed on the spares envelope as 'Bleriot Ltd, 4, Catesby St, Walworth, S. E.17'. On line research indicates BLERIOT traded as Bleriot-Odkent, London and was stablished 1905 making head, side and tail lamps, dynamos, lighting sets and it seems aviation map boards! In September 1910 Blériot opened a flying school at the newly established Hendon aerodrome near London and another in July 1914 at Brooklands in Surrey and also established a small factory there, becoming known as the Air Navigation and Engineering Company; ANEC survived until 1926. Blériot also built a large aircraft factory on Station Road, Addlestone in 1917; aircraft constructed were taken by road to Brooklands for final assembly and test flying.

We have no idea how many of these map boards Blériot's company made but our guess is not many and this is a rare survivor. It comes in it's original card box, that is now showing significant age wear, but is amazing it has survived at all. The instrument, known in service as ' a Bigsworth' board' was issued to aircraft navigators and observers in the RFC and RNAS so that they had a convenient way to plot their aircraft's course in flight, of course in an open cockpit. The inventor was Air Commodore Arthur Wellesley Bigsworth CMG, DSO & Bar, AFC, who was a pioneer aviator who had a distinguished military career and the man Captain W. E. Johns named his famous character "Biggles" after! The board features and acetate retaining cover (now showing some age wear) and beneath is an equally scarce original RFC chart, sheet 32, dated April 1916 showing the Melun area of Northern France where the first Battle of the Marne was fought in 1914. These charts were specifically made for the board and the acetate prevents it being blown away in the slipstream.

The board is fitted with a moveable protractor arm that carries a combined protractor/parallel rule acetate and the spares envelope contains an alternative protractor featuring a different scale (now showing some age damage). The reverse of the board is in close to mint condition, carrying the embossed makers details as mentioned, together with a Ministry arrow property mark and another in a square that may be an AID inspectors stamp. We understand these chart boards continued to be used by the RAF during the 1930's and looking at the design it clearly influenced the far more common larger WWII map board stores reference 6B/137. This is a museum quality item that rarely appears on the collectors market and with the added bonus of carrying the Blériot name, one of the most famous to be associated with the very early days of aviation. Measures 14"x 14" (36 cm x 36 cm)

A Recent Sale
Prices in UK Pounds - please see our Terms & Conditions
Use this Currency Converter to find the approximate cost in your currency
Pay securely with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Switch, or Solo through PayPal - see our Terms & Conditions
Aviation Clothing - British | German | North American | Other Countries
Aviation Headgear - British | German | North American | Other Countries
Aeronautical - Instruments & Tools | Miscellaneous Stock | Books - Old & New
Aeronautical Stock Archive -  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40
41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57
Home | Nautical | Aeronautical | News | Press Releases | About Us | Contact Us | Links
FAQ's | Web Log | Search | Site Map | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Mr Oldnautibits a chantrybarn production